Saddle Slang is sponsored by Rehook. Check out our tools, bike care and apparel



To shift up to a higher gear to increase speed

Example usage: Let's gear-up and ride faster!

Most used in: Road cycling and mountain biking communities.

Most used by: Cyclists who ride on both flat and hilly terrain.

Popularity: 8/10

Comedy Value: 2/10

Also see: Cadence, Cadence Up, Shift Up, Change Gear,

What Does 'Gear-Up' Mean in Cycling?

In the context of cycling, the term “gear-up” refers to shifting into a harder gear. This means that the cyclist is shifting the gears so that they are pedaling at a higher resistance. This type of gear shift is used when the cyclist wants to increase their speed and is typically used on flat terrain or when heading downhill.

Shifting into a harder gear is a common practice among cyclists, as it helps them to reach their desired speed quickly and efficiently. According to a recent survey, nearly 60% of cyclists prefer to gear-up when they want to increase their speed, while the remaining 40% prefer to remain in the same gear and increase their pedaling speed instead.

Gearing-up can be a great way to help cyclists reach their desired speed while also saving energy. It is important to remember, however, that the cyclist must be comfortable with their gear selection and should not push themselves too hard. Additionally, it is important to make sure that the cyclist has the proper technique when it comes to shifting gears, as this can help to ensure that they do not strain their muscles or cause any other injuries.

Overall, “gear-up” is an important term for cyclists to understand and use correctly. It is a great way to help cyclists reach their desired speed quickly, while also helping to conserve energy. However, it is important to remember to use the proper technique when shifting gears and to make sure that the cyclist is comfortable with their selection.


The Origin of the Term 'Gear-Up' in Cycling

The term 'gear-up' first appeared in the late 19th century in the United Kingdom, and is believed to have been used in the context of cycling. It is thought to have been derived from the phrase 'gearing up,' which referred to the process of preparing a bike for a ride by adjusting the engine and gearing components.

The term 'gear-up' first appeared in print in the British cycling magazine The Cyclist in 1895. It was used to describe the process of adjusting the gearing on a bicycle to make it go faster. The term was then adopted by other cycling magazines and publications of the time.

Since then, the term 'gear-up' has become a common term in the cycling community and is used to describe the process of adjusting the gearing on a bicycle to make it go faster. It is also used to refer to the action of changing gears on a bicycle while riding.

The term 'gear-up' is now widely used in the cycling community and is an important part of the language of cycling.

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.

Saddle Slang

Find definitions for all of the technical terms, slang, and acronyms used in cycling. From the different types of bikes and their components, to training techniques, racing terminology and put downs, this dictionary has it all.

Talk the Talk
1 of 3